I Help Conference Participants See the Big Picture (So They Do the Little Things Right)
Conferences - whether put on by a credit union league, a state or national banking association, or run internally across all the branches of an institution-are a great way to remind staff of what's important.
After all, with their heads down just keeping up with the work, it is easy for both management and employees to lose sight of why they should do things the proper way.
Banks and credit unions use conferences to provide context for best practices and raise awareness of key principles. Below I have listed just a few popular topics from my appearances across the country at state, regional, and national associations, as well as for individual institutions. (And to read some reactions to my appearances, visit my Testimonials page.)
- Culture as a competitive advantage. When you have a "tight" culture, you respond to change more quickly than the competition. Wouldn't you like to avoid threats and seize opportunities before your rivals can react to your market-leading moves?
- Moving from consumer credit to business customers. Whether it is branch managers at your bank or board members at your credit union, a long background in consumer credit is just a start. What makes lending to businesses so different … and potentially dangerous?
- Leveraging credit analysis to expand relationships. Credit analysis of a business generates lots of information that can be used to identify other customer needs. Why not take advantage of that information to uncover opportunities to expand your business with that customer?
Get Your Money's Worth!
It's easy to go to a conference (or send someone), but how do you make sure you benefit? By avoiding these "Five Ways to Feel Good While Wasting Time and Money"
- Risk rating done right. Over time, financial institutions tend to forget all the hard work and careful thought that went into designing their risk rating systems. Are you using a token system that does very little to help you manage credit risk?
- The ALLL-Capital "sweet spot". In today's risk environment, backstopping expected and unexpected losses should be anything but routine. Do you know where your "sweet spot" is, providing adequate protection without unnecessarily locking up valuable resources?
- Portfolio risk assessment. Every credit decision is a portfolio decision. What goes into a better approach to predicting where the portfolio is headed?
Of course, I cover many other topics, often customized to a particular audience. If there's a topic about credit for businesses that would interest participants at your conference, drop me a note to learn more about what I can provide for you.
Have It Your Way
I always adapt my presentations to my clients' needs:
- My topics can be handled in an hour overview or in a morning's in-depth discussion.
- I can provide context to open an internal curriculum or examine a key topic at a national conference.
- I'm equally comfortable exploring business lending issues with your board of directors or stepping in front of an auditorium with hundreds of participants.
- I'll come to your conference or appear in your institution via webinar technology.
- For a better sense of my themes and my style, "Test Drive" me!
For the best outcomes, knowing what to do is not enough. Knowing the why behind daily business lending practices is what leads to long-term success.