Educating the Industry Is a Key Mission for Me
My thinking appears regularly in trade journals, association and school newsletters, and the general business media. You can find my articles and interviews in publications such as:
- National and Regional Journals and Newsletters: ICBA Independent Banker, Northwestern Financial Review, ICBA Directors' Newsletter, ICBA Certification Newsletter, etc.
- State Association Journals: Ohio Record, Hoosier Banker, mbaBanker (Michigan), Banking Traditions (Alabama),Issues & Answers (Washington), etc.
- School/Association Newsletters and On-line Libraries: Pacific Coast Banking School, Barret School of Banking, Bank Holding Company Association, Ezine Articles Directory, etc.
- General/Business Media: Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Finance & Commerce
(If you are looking for proven content for your publication, read more here.
A Few Popular Articles
Here are few past articles from state, national, and trade-group publications:
- I identified "Three Critical Training Components to Better Bank Boards" in this article for the journal of the Washington Bankers Association, Issues & Answers
- "Top Lending Practices": The best run community banks understand that they need a strategic plan for their credit business. We call that plan, "the credit policy," and this article from ICBA Independent Banker highlights some of the ways these successful banks develop and implement effective credit policies.
- "Bank? Or Amusement Park?": This article in the Bank Holding Company Association newsletter shared some ideas about how to get your bank off the roller coaster that takes you from the highs of easy profits to the next industry crisis. I offered some tips for building the discipline to achieve a "smoother ride."
- "Avoiding a Tool-Driven Culture" was published as a Special Convention Feature in February, 2008. It appeared in a supplement to ICBA Independent Banker for the Techworld trade show, as part of the March annual convention (where I also led several workshops).
- In an article titled “On the Hunt”, ICBA's Independent Banker magazine featured my comments about attracting and retaining commercial loan officers.
- I revisited the role of credit policy for the Community Bankers Association of Alabama in their journal Banking Traditions, with my article "Credit Polity or Business Plan?"
If your association publishes a magazine or newsletter that contains credit-related topics, why not contact me to see if I have a topic that serves your readers? I have a library of articles that have appeared in state journals and other outlets, so I can fill your need for credit content on fairly short notice.
The advantage to you is that you get proven articles that have been edited and read in other publications. But because those publications are aimed at a limited audience (e.g., one state), you don't have to worry about overlap between the previous reading audience and your own.
If I'm appearing at your conference or workshop, let's talk about an article to appear in your newsletter before the event. That builds awareness of the topic and can help prepare your participants to get more out of the event.
I've also had publications re-use articles from Jeff's Thoughts, my popular e-zine. And some managers have written me to say they used a particular article to set the theme for, say, a staff meeting. I'm happy to share these articles in this way, as long as I am acknowledged in the use. See my e-zine page for more details, or go to my archives, to explore 200 past issues of Jeff's Thoughts.
Contact Me to Discuss a Contribution to Your Publication